A late Baroque Cistercian church built in the years 1720-28 by a design by Pompeo Ferrari with a partial use of old Romanesque walls from the second half of XIII century and Gothic ones from XIV century. At the side of the main facade there is a square tower dating about 1700. On the walls to the left of the entrance there are epitaphs for father Feliks Bodzianowski, a local parish priest in the years 1922-1939, martyred in the Dachau concentration camp and father Antoni Piotrowski, parish priest since 1939, also a prisoner of Nazi camps. There is also a plaque commemorating soldiers and policemen murdered in 1940 in USSR, unveiled on the 60th anniversary of the massacre.
The church is built in the shape of a square covered by a dome supported by four mighty pillars. Around the main nave, square with cut corners, goes a walk-around: the aisles, the choir and the sanctuary – with a matronea on the upper level, covered with elliptical domes.
The precious, uniform Baroque equipment of the church comes from the times of its construction, when it was made by carpenters from Rydzyna. The main altar with a statue of Virgin Mary surrounded by six carved pillars is made entirely of wood. It depicts the assumption of Mary surrounded by angels. Up over the arcade, made to look like the welkin there is the Eye of Providence. On the central pillar – a cartouche with a hierogram (a letter symbol of a holy person) of Virgin Mary, adorned with a carved garland. Below – a tabernacle with a throne, on which there usually stands a crucifix with a depiction of Mary Magdalene mourning the death of Christ. Between the pillars supporting the dome there are four paintings illustrating, in order: Cistercian sisters adoring God’s Providence and three biblical scenes: the miracle of bread, Daniel in the lions’ den and three youths in the fiery furnace. Over the organs choir there is an impressive polychrome depicting Virgin Mary covering Cistercians of both sexes with her cloak. A Latin writing states: “I shall shield and protect this order until the end of time”. To the left there is a self portrait of the artist Adam Swach with a date 1730. It is worth to take a look at a picture of the Holy Family by Szymon Czechowicz from a half of XVIII century located in the right aisle altar and the altar of the Holy Cross on the opposite side.
Apart from the aforementioned, noteworthy elements include: an early XVIII century crucifix, placed above the choir, a painting of the Holy Trinity in the skylight of the dome, an elaborate railing of the choir, early XVIII wooden benches under the matronea, an intricately broidered late XVIII century antependium (the altar frontal) with a scene from the Apocalypse of St. John and a hand painted stucco pulpit with a canopy.
Among the relics not normally shown to visitors there is a reliquary with a piece of wood from the Cross with a date 1622 embossed on the base, robes and capes from XVII and XVIII century and antependia (ornate covers of the Christian altar front). On the east side of the church there is a presbytery from 1788 with Rococo equipment and from south-west a four sided, three story bell tower with a bulbous top. The tower used to have a clock – now only an empty space and pieces of the original clockwork remain. The church contains, in an unknown spot, a grave of abbess Anna, daughter of duke Przemysł 1st, died after 1285.